Committee Meeting

Wednesday, January 16, 2019


Minutes of CAGA Meeting on 16th January 2019

Present : Ged Wells, Stuart Harding, David Shaw, Pete Bowler, Stephen Colley, Mike Ibbet, Diane Troye, Frans Lytzen




Minutes of the last meeting were approved. 



Accounts:  In the bank £10,993 following payment of survey report on the DC and alarm repair invoice. 



A seed order is being compiled and will be placed very soon by Steve Bowker and Pete Bowler

 Steve & Pete

Shop Rota

Sunday 20th January  – Pete

Sunday 27th January  -  Stephen

Sunday 3rd February   -  Mike

Sunday 10th February  –  Diane & David

Sunday 17th February - Pete

Shop duty rota to be placed on the notice board.







Boundary Fence

A visit has now taken place by an environmental officer from CPC. They have undertaken a check of the whole boundary fence and have concluded that the fence is in need of replacing from Plot 59 up to Plot 82.  This amounts to approx 150 meters of fence.

CPC are now to arrange to get quotes for the cost of replacement and once more is known will be back in touch with CAGA.

A cause of concern is complying with the 1meter clearance rule between the end of a plot up to the boundary fence. Several plots in this area have storage boxes or compost heaps which will require moving and reciting away from the fence line. This is necessary if contractors are going to successfully replace the fence.

It is agreed that the committee will write to the relevant plot holders advising them of what to do once CPC have confirmed they are going ahead with the fence work.










The alarm is now back in working order


Distribution Centre and its’ future

Mike & Stephen have been very busy once again and report as follows:-

An in depth survey has now been undertaken of the DC by a qualified surveyor who concludes the hut has now reached the end of its life expectancy unless substantial investment is put into the building as follows:

·       New felt roof

·       Replacement of all rainwater goods

·       Replacement of the rear door

·       The gable end walls to be fitted with strap restraints to prevent further movement

·       Full electrical test and complete rewiring

The survey goes on to detail the fabric of the hut is of panel construction which contains asbestos and any work and or disposal would need to be done by a specialist contractor.

Quotes obtained so far to demolish the DC have ranged from £5,000 up to £20,000. The lower quotes have now been withdrawn as unrealistic leaving the higher quote as the most likely cost to work from. It should be noted that the cost of capping off all utilities has yet to be added to this quotation.

As any rebuild budget is going to be tight, the type of new construction will have to be carefully considered. It is felt a metal frame construction type will be the more economic one to go for.

To progress further Mike & Stephen will obtain quotes for the cost of refurbishing the DC as detailed above and compare these quotes with the cost of total rebuild so an informed decision can be made on the best way forward.

As more money is going to be needed to finance the project it is proposed that the Parish Council be contacted to see if they would consider providing a finance loan on beneficial terms to assist with the financing available to date. Ged is to make contact with CPC regarding this.















Mike & Stephen





Frans has reviewed the waiting list and there are currently 4 people waiting for a plot.

He has let 2 plots so far in the last week and is to show 3 prospective people around this coming weekend.




Plot Clearance Work

Bryan Collins is to be contacted to provide a quote for undertaking the clearance of the worst plots, namely plots 13 & 16B. He has the necessary equipment to successfully return these plots back into working use.



Volunteer Working Party

Following clearance of the orchard area as mentioned in the last minutes and clearance of the top corner near the main car park by John Bird a working party is needed to remove all the vegetation over to plot 30 for composting or burning.

It is proposed to run a volunteer working party on the mornings of the 9th and 10th February (a Saturday and Sunday). Ged will post notices inviting volunteers to attend in due course

Rather than have a bonfire the committee is to consider hiring a heavy duty wood chipper to reduce the waste to a mulch consistency which can then be used by plot holders. David is to look in to the cost and availability of hiring one.










 Other Items :  

Tractor & rotavator attachment: It has been reported that the attachment is once again leaking oil so the repair has been unsuccessful and a new one may need to be purchased. Rather than taking this route the Committee are to consider selling off the tractor as it is no longer practical to use on small plots in favour of utilizing a contractor for future plot clearance work. This will free up storage space in the garage and reduce maintenance costs.

Also to look at using 5mtr wide ground cover sheeting on cleared plots to suppress weed growth prior to

Retirement Party for Tony: It is hoped to arrange a get together for this to take place as soon as possible (the end of February). Ged will undertake to speak with Tony to discuss his wishes and agree a time and date for this to take place.  All plot holder will be advised and those wishing to attend can then book.

 Next meeting will be on Wednesday 20th February 2019 at 7pm in the D.C