Committee Meeting

Wednesday, March 20, 2019


Minutes of CAGA Meeting on 20th March 2019

Present : Ged Wells, David Shaw, Pete Bowler, Stephen Colley, Mike Ibbet, Diane Troye,

 Apologies:Frans Lytzen, Stuart Harding



Minutes of the last meeting were approved. 



Accounts:  In the bank £11,484

Monies to be paid out:  Seed Invoice - £123, Potato Invoice -£425 approx, Work on plots- £620, Skip Hire - £276, Wood Chipper Hire & petrol - £189.01

This will leave £9850.99 in the bank

Stuart has yet to receive the seed potato invoice but if it amounts to £425 then the Association will have lost money, in which case it would not be viable to continue with potato orders next year unless prices can be confirmed up front by the Seed Company.








A seed order has been received but Steve is hoping to put together a further order via Fothergils depending on being able to get free P&P. If anyone has a specific seed they want to recommend then please let Steve or Pete know ASAP.

 Steve & Pete

Shop Rota

Sunday 24th March  –  Mike

Sunday 31st March  -  Stephen

Sunday 7th April   -  Diane & David

Sunday 14th April  –  Pete

Shop duty rota to be placed on the notice board.






Boundary Fence

It is now confirmed the boundary fence between plots 60 to 87 is to be replaced by CPC.

There are around 14 plots that are in a poor state with items placed right up to the boundary fence line.  There are several trees that will need to be taken down.

A letter will be sent by the Secretary to all plot holders from 60 to 87 giving them until the end of April to clear the 1 meter clearance area.

The Council contractors are expected to start in May.

Ged will contact John Bird to see if he could kindly assist with the cutting down of the trees with his chain saw.

If plot holders have not carried out the clearance work by the end of April then it may be necessary to arrange clearance by a contractor and recharge plot holders accordingly unless a volunteer working party can be organised to include the relevant plot holders concerned.








Distribution Centre and its’ future

Mike & Stephen have been very busy once again and report as follows:-

Demolition quotes are now in and range from £4,500 up to £27,800.

A professional asbestos survey now need to be carried out as soon as possible and will approach BlueA to do this.

Re-build Operation: This involves getting a replacement structure delivered and erected leaving fitting out to be done by us. Quotes for this option range from £10,000 up to £20,000.

There would still be additional costs involved

Turn Key Operation: Quotes for this option range from £36,000 for a refurbished building up to £75,000 for a total brand new turn key scheme fully fitted out and running.

Mike & Stephen have yet to approach Rodger Blane for a quote for demolishing the old building and supplying a new building.









Mike & Stephen


To attract new Plot Holders a flyer will be delivered in the March edition of the Pump. Any leftovers will be distributed to the village centre and  various building sites around Chinnor.


Plot Clearance Work

Bryan Collins is to commence work on Plots 13 & 16 from 21st to the 22nd March. A skip will be delivered prior to work starting and is for waste soil only.  This is not for Plot Holders use.

 Once clearance has been done it is hoped to get the plots let as quickly as possible by Frans.




Volunteer Working Party

The next one will be notified in due course


Scarecrow Competition June 2019

It is agreed the competition will be held on the first weekend in June ( 1st & 2nd June)

CAGA’s involvement will be limited to providing the site, judging and supplying the 2 prizes.

Chinnor Open Gardens will do the advertising and provide the means by which people can vote for the best scarecrow.

The competition will not be run on a money making basis.

The scarecrows will be sited along the centre road and therefore plot holders who have plots facing the road will be asked to permit a scarecrow to be erected on their plot close to the road.  Frans will put this request in the next Newsletter inviting front facing plot holders to come forward.

It is hoped to open the D.C on the afternoon of the Saturday and Sunday when the competition will be run.








A2Deminion Property Developers

A letter is required from CAGA stating that CAGA do not want to take on the management of the plots they are providing on Mill Road development site.

David to do the response letter



Road Signage for the Allotments

This item is to be looked at again.  It is felt that better signage at the main entrances would raise the presence and public awareness of the allotments. Ged is to speak with Liz Folley of CPC to see if the Council can assist with road signage.






 Other Items :  

Tractor & plough attachment:  The old plough is to be looked at to see if this can be put into service to help clear difficult plots. Both Tich and Oli believe the plough could be put  to work with the tractor.  Using a  thicker oil has been proposed by Tich.

Proposal also made to consider putting a tow hitch on the tractor to enable the trailer (currently housed in the hut) to be better utilised for transporting heavy items around the site eg. Hedge trimmings and branches.

It is agreed to review the use of these items in 6 months time to assess whether they should be sold as there is little point in retaining equipment that is no longer used. 

Chinnor Flower & Vegetable Show:  It is agreed to look at setting up a tent at the show in order to better advertise the Allotments. Ged is to obtain an application form and submit.   Update yet to follow:

Bon Fire: Steve Bowker to have a go at buring the vegetation mound near the D.C


 Next meeting will be on Wednesday 17th April 2019 at 7pm in the D.C






Review in Aug 2019



Steve Bowker