Committee Meeting

Wednesday, April 17, 2019


Minutes of CAGA Meeting on 17th April 2019

Present : Ged Wells, David Shaw, Pete Bowler, Stephen Colley, Mike Ibbet, Diane Troye, Stuart Harding, Frans Lytzen




Minutes of the last meeting were approved. 



Accounts:  In the bank £10,560

Further shop order pending

Invoices paid for skip hire and work to plots

Invoice for seed potatoes received, there has been a loss of 25% this year.  Committee has taken a vote to cease annual seed potato orders and outcome is to stop offering this service.





Steve and Pete are expecting a delivery any day of compost, seeds, fertilizer and slug pellets.

 Steve & Pete

Shop Rota

Sunday 21st April  –  Diane & David

Sunday 28th April  -  Mike

Sunday 5th May   -   Stephen

Sunday 12th May  –  Frans

Shop duty rota to be placed on the notice board.






Boundary Fence

It is now confirmed the boundary fence between plots 60 to 87 is to be replaced by CPC.

All affected plots holders have been sent a letter advising them what to do.

The Council contractors are expected to start in June.

John Bird has been hard at work with his chain saw cutting down some of the trees that are in the way. A big thank you goes out to John for doing this vital piece of work.

Work yet to be done includes the following:

·       Large mound of pampas grass needs cutting back to ground level

·       Conifer tree to be cut down

·       Large water tank to be moved away from boundary line

A check will be carried at the end of April of all relevant plots. If a plot holder has failed to clear the rear of their plot by this time then CAGA reserves the right to recharge the plot holder if the Council subsequently charges CAGA for doing the work. If any plot holder has any concern regarding the work they need to do then please contact the Chairman Ged Wells as a matter of urgency.

The committee is looking to organise a working party which will be advertised.  It is hoped all concerned plot holders will come forward and volunteer rather than leave it to others to have to do the work for them.














Distribution Centre and its’ future

A professional asbestos survey is to be carried out as soon as possible and will approach BlueA to do this.

A more in depth report will be given once this has been done.


Mike & Stephen


Thanks go out to Brian Roebuck for carrying out an inspection of plots.

Frans has been busy letting vacant plots. Only plot 66B remains to be let with a possible vacancy coming in the near future.

The leaflet drop in the Chinnor Pump produced 6 responses which was an excellent result.

There are 2 people on the waiting list.


Volunteer Working Party

The next one will be notified in due course


Scarecrow Competition June 2019

It is agreed the competition will be held on the first weekend in June ( 1st & 2nd June)

CAGA’s involvement will be limited to providing the site, judging and supplying the 2 prizes.

Chinnor Open Gardens will do the advertising and a leaflet is now being printed which will be distributed to all schools in the village and other prominent sites.

The competition will not be run on a money making basis.

The scarecrows will now be sited on the open ground near the Scout Hut and on the days concerned a small tent will be erected where details about the allotment will be advertised to help promote the allotments to visitors. 

Frans has put details of the competition in the Newsletter and on CAGA website.

It is also hoped to open the D.C on the afternoon of the Saturday and Sunday when the competition will be run.







Annual Plot Judging

Annual judging can take up to 3 days of the judges time so in order not to waste the time of the Judge all those plot holders NOT wishing to participate in this event will be asked to opt out of the competition. To do this Frans will put details in the next Newsletter requesting opt out responses accordingly.




Road Signage for the Allotments

This item is to be looked at again.  It is felt that better signage at the main entrances would raise the presence and public awareness of the allotments. Ged is to speak with Liz Folley of CPC to see if the Council can assist with road signage. 

Item still on going......






 Other Items :  

Tractor & plough attachment:  The rotavator attachment has been looked at by Tich and is reported to now be working.  Oil is still leaking from it but so long as it is continually topped up is should work fine.  No report given as to whether the plough attachment is viable.

On going: Proposal made to consider putting a tow hitch on the tractor to enable the trailer (currently housed in the hut) to be better utilised for transporting heavy items around the site eg. Hedge trimmings and branches.

It is agreed to review the use of these items in 6 months time to assess whether they should be sold as there is little point in retaining equipment that is no longer used. 

Chinnor Flower & Vegetable Show:  It is agreed to look at setting up a tent at the show in order to better advertise the Allotments. Ged is to obtain an application form and submit.  It is hoped to organise a tombola at the event and show case items sold at the D.C.

A big thank you goes out to the following:

Pete Greenway for cutting the grass on the allotment access lane

Steve Bowker for sorting the bonfire near the D.C

 Next meeting will be on Wednesday 15th May 2019 at 7pm in the D.C







Review in Aug 2019